Saturday, July 21, 2012

Phone Help!


I need help selecting a phone.  Having lived in Namibia for almost three years, I have no idea what is available or what I even “need” to have.  Currently, I am using a Nokia phone that cost me about $15 US.  I have my SIM card and recharge as I need.  Here in Namibia you can recharge with as little as 62 US cents!

I don’t use my cell phone much.  In fact, I often find that the battery is dead.  I use it so I have a phone when I am out.  It is also helpful for sending SMS/text messages to people.  Here in Namibia people text all the time because it is so much cheaper than calling.  I would rather call, get my answer, and be done with it rather than have a back and forth text conversation.  We will see if that changes in the US.

Why I would NEED a smart phone of any sort is beyond me, but I am sure that if I had one I would use it.  Since we already have an ipod touch and an ipad2 I would think that an iphone would make the most sense if I went that route.  It would be familiar and I could use the apps I already know and own.

I will be in the US from August 2012 until May/June of 2013 so I don’t know how much sense a 2 year contract makes.  I hate to spend money on something that I know I won’t be using.  I know some plans let you put your contract on hold while you are overseas, but since I primarily live overseas it would take forever to finish up the stupid thing!

When I leave the US, I will be going to Armenia and I would like to be able to use my phone there with a local SIM card.  That means I am looking for an unlocked GSM quad band phone and a US provider (prepaid?).

I have read a few articles, but I have lived outside of the US for so long that I am truly clueless.  Here I went super cheap because crime is so high.  In Armenia that is not a big problem.   I would like something that I can use for awhile.  Suggestions?  I feel like someone who has never driven being asked to select the most important features in a new car.   Send me a Facebook message or e-mail.