Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Baby (My mom says I can't call it a bad baby.)

My sister says that I need to write more about my pregnancy. I guess I hate to complain so publicly (no problem privately). I do not like being pregnant. Yes, I am excited to be having a baby. No, I don't like this part of the whole process. I try to be positive-- I feel like I am 13, should be good to feel younger, right? Of course that means my face is breaking out and I don't recognize my own body. My mom tells me that I am not fat, I am having a baby. Since I don't feel movement yet I feel FAT. I have this bulge in the front of me. My clothes don't fit, I don't like bending over, and my muscles hurt from supporting this belly of mine. I know, it isn't going to get better either.
After the first trimester I was so excited the vomiting stopped. Now I puke more than ever. It isn't as urgent and I don't feel nausea, but puking several times a day gets old. I feel like between that and peeing I should just move into the bathroom.
My sister also told me that I should talk about my cravings. CORN DOGS were the baby's choice yesterday. Of course I live in China, so first task is to find hot dogs that are meat hot dogs and not some sort of myster sausage. Second, I have to mix up the corn meal and flour batter and coat the hot dogs and deep fry them. Picking up a box at Safeway and throwing a couple of dogs in the oven or microwave would sure be a lot easier!
I dream about doughnuts, frosties from Wendy's, and 7-11 slurpees. Somehow Chinese food just doesn't do the trick. Besides, even though I love spicy noodles, they aren't so great coming back up. They are too spicy and way to long and get stuck on the way up. Yum! Great image, yes?
Oh, I forgot how much I love Chinese bathrooms. Squatter toilets, what could be better when you are pregnant. Actually squatting isn't so bad, but having to get back up again can be a killer. I am afraid I am going to lose my balance and fall in. The smell is quite lovely too. :( On my trip to Xi'an I was so excited when I found a bathroom that was (1) clean and smelled good (2) had normal toilets (3) had toilet paper and (4) had soap. Who would expect so many luxuries in one place?
Evidently Rob isn't suffering enough. Yesterday he was talking about baby #2. I haven't even squeezed this puppy out yet. Is it possible I am not as cranky as I think I am?
I need to think of some amusing things to write in Baby's book. I am not enjoying pregnancy, but I know it will be worth it when I have my sweet baby. Of course there will probably be days I will wonder about that too. :) I am going to miss sleep. I really like it!