Sunday, June 30, 2013

June 30, 2013

This week has been pretty unexciting.  I have been unpacking boxes and going up and down stairs trying to find where to put things.  Sometimes it seems like I make a bigger mess when I am trying to organize things and get them put away.

Wednesday it was time to venture out of the house to go into the city.  Going up and down the stairs was making my cough worse and I needed a break from unpacking.  I also needed a SIM card for my phone.  I don't like the thought of going out without a phone, but I needed to get out to get a SIM for my phone.

Now this wasn't my first attempt.  We had gone out for a SIM card earlier.  We went to the Orange Mobile store and one of the two employees spoke good English.  Unfortunately, their computers were down in that shop so they couldn't sell me a SIM card.  There was another location down the street.  It turned out being further down the street then we anticipated, but we made it.  I told the employee at the reception desk that I needed a SIM card for an iPhone 4s.  The employee who does that was busy with another customer so I was told it would be a few minutes.  We waited and then I got to go back to the computer.  Pretty special.  I gave her my passport and she asked what kind of phone I had.  Oops.  They didn't have that size SIM card.  They would, however, be happy to sell me one that I could have cut down.  Uh, no.  I realize it isn't a complicated procedure, but I would like to purchase a card I could stick in my phone and try out.

So, this was the second attempt out for a SIM card.  We took a taxi to the Orange Armenia flagship store and were greeted by about 8 employees, none of whom spoke much English.  Why they put English speakers in small stores and not the main one, I don't know.  Now I realize that I don't speak Armenian and this is their country, but I would think that pointing to an empty SIM card slot in a store that sells SIM cards should be pretty self-explanatory to the employees.  Anyway, a woman copies my passport and enters in heaven knows what into the computer.  She didn't require my firstborn child, but perhaps that is because he was right there and she decided she didn't want him or his equally impatient brother.  I get a paper to take to the cashier (a whole five feet away) and pay the 1000 drams (less than $2.50 USD).  I walk back over to the woman with the receipt, which she doesn't even look at, and get my SIM card and I stick it in my phone.  Success!  She then says "20 drams" and I have no idea what she means.  Do I have to go back yet again and pay 20 drams for something?  She mimes talking on a phone and says 20 drams and then tells me the phone costs 20 drams.  She says something to the sales person next to her and that person says 20 drams.  Yeah, I got that.  I query with "simple" which is the name of the plan where it costs 20 drams a minute to call phones, 20 drams per text, etc.  Evidently that was it. 

I promised the boys a treat if they were decent human beings while we were in the store.  We walked across the street and they got some gelato.  Cotton candy and some other treats are sold there too, so we might want to go back.  Good location for things downtown and a good bribe.  There is a small supermarket across the other street from the Orange store, so we went in and looked for canned pineapple that I needed for a future dinner.  It's a small store, but amazing how much they can pack into it.  Of course I couldn't find the pineapple.  Luckily, with the help of my handy dandy google translate app, I was able to have someone help me find it.



We were right at a major intersection, so it was easy to find a taxi to take us home.  We flagged down a licensed cab and I once again used google translate to tell the driver where I wanted to go.  I was pleasantly surprised that he spoke some English.  As we drove through the crowded streets, he pointed out some things including the church where he was married and his baby was baptized.  Whenever we stopped at a light or other minor traffic incident, our driver would turn off the car.  He indicated that he was saving gas.  What he actually said was "benzene small" and pointed to the gas gauge.  I wondered how much he was saving or if the restarting possibly used more than just leaving it running for a bit.  It wasn't like we were sitting for several minutes at a time or anything.

He misunderstood and drove into the driveway of the house next door.  That house appears to be mostly vacant and being used to film movies/TV/something on occasion.  Good enough.  Even though he was a licensed cab he didn't have a meter.  I gave him 1400 dram which should have been enough.  He told me that our neighborhood is out of the city, blah, blah, blah and that I owed him another 1000 drams.  I argued with him  and he gave me the sad story of how expensive it is to fill the tank.  I told him that I had a problem because I didn't understand why he was trying to charge me so much and that I was going to have to call someone to help me sort it out.  He decided that I didn't really owe him the extra 1000 drams.  We got out of the cab and I gave him a dirty look.  I haven't had to argue with a cab driver since China.

Justin then asked me where we were.  Clueless child.  Hello?  See our house right there?  Guess not.  He'll figure it out eventually.

Thursday and Friday were pretty routine around the house.  Unpacking, playing with the boys, and trying to walk around the neighborhood a bit.  Justin was able to remember the way to his school and it took us 5:28 seconds to walk there the long way at a fairly leisurely pace.  Winter may be a different story.
Friday was exciting because Rob brought home our car!  That will make things a bit easier.  Of course I have no idea where we live in relationship to things, so it will take awhile for me.  Should make things easier for him getting to and from work on his own schedule.

We also got our meat and produce order on Friday. Produce is interesting here.  I ordered some celery because Ryan really likes it.  It tastes like celery and, unlike Namibia, has the right texture.  It just has the diameter of a pencil.


Saturday I woke up and went downstairs to find the boys playing wii (what a surprise) and Rob busy baking our weekly bread.  They have a lot of interesting bread here, much of it is pretty good.  They do not, however, have bread that can be used to make acceptable peanut butter and honey sandwiches.  That is a major staple for the boys, so Rob makes us bread and he does a great job.  He also surprised us with some yummy cinnamon bread. Saturday was also a day to work on the computer room, getting the boys' bikes rideable, and just spending some time together.  The boys miss Daddy during the week.  He comes home around 6:30, we eat dinner, and then it is time for the bedtime routine.  Saturday is catch up with Daddy day.

Sunday we went to church.  We made it there and back without any wrong turns.  I don't think I could find it again to save my life.  Guess it will take time.  The roads are pretty crazy and going straight doesn't mean that you are staying on the same road.  In fact, going straight can mean that you are driving head on into traffic.  The marshrutni, or mini buses, are crazy!  Picture vans that hold about 12 seated passengers (and some standing) dropping people off here and there.  Guess it is better to dodge them than to be smashed in one.

Sunday night we went to dinner at the Hansen's.  They live on our same street and we know them from church Rob's work.  We had a nice evening with them and their two boys.  Their oldest son is three and my kids enjoyed having a playmate. 

Next week is going to be a busy one with two outings for us.  Justin and Ryan will also be starting a summer camp program on Tuesdays and Thursdays as well.  I hope to be able to tackle the playroom and the library nook.  It is frustrating since some of our things are not yet here.  I want to do things like put the DVDs away, but I can't do that before the shelf for them comes.  I need to just do my best for now and fine tune things as I can.