Sunday, November 17, 2013

November 17, 2013

This week I am once again playing catch up.  Last Sunday afternoon, Justin fell asleep during his quiet time.  Now quiet time is something that I need much more than the boys, so for one of them to fall asleep during quiet time is quite unusual.  I tried to wake him up and noticed that he was quite warm.  I took his temperature and it was almost 103.  I decided to let him sleep.  When he woke up, he wasn't feeling well, but that was easily resolved with some Tylenol.  Unfortunately, he was not at all tired, but plenty needy.  He also stayed up very late.  Being the good mother that I am, I went to bed and had him wake me up when he needed me to change the DVD he was watching.  I kept him home from school and it about killed me.  The time he rested gave him super energy.  Maybe I accidently gave him Tylenol with speed or something.  I could hardly wait for school the next day.

So, the past two weeks have been a blur.  It isn't because so much has been happening, but rather because what happens is often routine and doesn't seem much worth noting.

With the kids having their birthdays AND Christmas next month, they have been busy making lists.  I love the spellings they use. :)  The lists are prominently placed on the refrigerator and as they see each other's lists, they often add to their own.  Uh, yeah, like you are really going to EACH get a wii u.
Justin's list

Front side of Ryan's list

Justin's school finished the astroturf playground project.  Ryan enjoys playing on the playground while we wait for Justin to get out of school.  We have been enjoying the mild weather this year.  Mid November and no jacket!  Unfortunately, it looks like that is going to change this upcoming week. 


Justin was very excited that he got an award in school.  His school grades academic skills and what they call success orientations.  Personally, I think that it is a poor system.  It appears that it is easier to get good academic grades (every child can succeed at high levels, right?) than to get the top "grade" in success orientation behaviors.  It looks like grading and ensuring all students can achieve at high levels means we have to keep dropping standards.  Vanity sizing keeps telling me I am getting skinnier.  I guess US grading systems are going to make all of our kids brilliant.  In the meantime, at Justin's school, it is very difficult for students to be honest, work well in groups, show concern for others, etc.  Huh.  I would have thought these were things that we could expect of students regardless of academic abilities.  Shows what I know.  I am proud that Justin demonstrates concern for others, and I really think that he does.  I think he is a very honest child and a poor speller, but his report card, based upon the standards, shows the opposite. 
Note: I think that Justin has a wonderful teacher, I just think many schools are going overboard to make average students think they are geniuses.  What is wrong with being average academically?
 I finally got my driver's license on the 8th, but I haven't driven yet.  We have one car, I can't think of anywhere I really want to go, and I don't know that driving here is something I look forward to doing anyway.  The Embassy helps to make this an incredibly easy process.  It took longer to get to the police station than to get the license. 
I was amused by their driving course.  It was laid out very neatly in a grid-like manner with lines clearly marked on a smooth, even surface.  In reality, lines, if there are any, mean nothing.  Roads have potholes as big as my kids.  Mini bus and taxi drivers are even worse than the average drivers, stopping suddenly or quickly pulling in front of you even though they have the horsepower of a snail in molasses.  Cars break down frequently and become yet another obstacle in the roadway.  Unfortunately, roads are laid out in bizarre patterns and are street signs are rare.  I think anyone who can drive to the police station and get there in one piece should be granted a license.  Perhaps if you can drive on the "civilized" course you are denied your license because it bears no resemblance to reality.
Justin and Ryan are also busy planning every last detail of their birthdays.  Here is part of Ryan's schedule.  He has written things on individual pages so he can rearrange them as needed.
 
 
I really need to post some things to my other blog outlining some of the activities I do with the boys. I keep putting it off until I have time to catch up.  The longer I wait, the harder it is going to be.  I need to just sit down and do it soon without worrying about when I did what.  Here are a few things that the boys have been doing lately.

 Justin continues to invent complicated games that make no sense to anyone but himself.  He likes to get commitments that we will play.  Here is a sign up sheet he made for his Plants vs Zombies inspired game.
sinnitsher = signature
 Justin has been writing stories and of course Ryan has insisted in getting involved as well.  He tires of the actual writing part quickly and will often dictate to me.  As an almost 5 year old, he is not a particularly gifted artist.  I loved this picture though.
Leaves are falling off of the trees.  Ryan and I looked for leaves both big and small.  These were big enough for me to wear on my head.
 I needed to find some buttons to sew on a shirt.  Ryan and I ended up playing with buttons for almost an hour.  This is the kind of thing I love doing with him.
 Ryan and I also worked a bit on telling him. He was excited for a play date and wanted to quickly get through things like lunch, quiet time, and picking up his brother so it would be time sooner.
 Ryan and I read a book about shadows and then tried out some things in the dark bathroom.

 
 Saturday was a surprise baby shower for some of our friends.  The baby isn't due until January, but they are moving early next month.  Justin and Ryan enjoyed the fact that the baby shower was a family affair.