Monday, January 16, 2006

Harbin Ice and Snow Festival, Winter 2005
Getting there and St Sophia Russian Orthodox Church
The trip began in the hotel lobby. We boarded a van and headed for the train station. It was a crowded, busy place and I was glad we already had tickets and a guide to follow. Toting luggage around and finding our compartment was a workout. It took awhile to settle in, with four of us to a compartment. I got an upper bunk. I was pleasantly surprised with my warm, thick comforter and fluffy pillow. The train left at 7:00 pm and by 8:30 we were going to sleep. I managed to sleep until 1:00 am. That gave me time to use the bathroom (a bit scary, but not the worst ever) and get organized before we arrived shortly before 2:00 am. Once again, a shuttle was waiting to take us to our hotel. It didn't take long to get into my comfy bed and drift off to sleep.
After a buffet breakfast we got ready to brave the cold. With all the layers I had on it was hard to move. They were necessary as it was COLD outside! As we walked towards the chuch, we passed an elderly man playing an instrument (I don't know what it is called) on the sidewalk. His gloves were so thin. I couldn't believe that he could keep them warm enough to play.
Outside the church there were rows of small ice sculptures. I also enjoyed the trees, complete with faux apples. Heaven only knows how cold it was outside and fresh fruit is growing on the tree? I don't think anyone bought it. Good try though.
The church looked out of place in China. It is no longer used for church services, but has been made into a museum. Still, it is an impressive sight. The inside is not in very good condition, but there are some nice pictures. The history of the church was all written in Chinese, so I can't really say much about it. It isn't hard to imagine that it was once very beautifully decorated.
After touring the church/ museum, we saw vendors selling bird feed so that people could feed the pigeons. The birds were landing right on people's hands, arms, shoulders... I thought that China had this whole bird flu thing going on. Can't pigeons carry that? Should one really pose kissing a pigeon? I decided to pass. I had to admit that the little kid in the picture is really cute. With all that padding you could fall down and not even notice. I wonder how to say you've fallen and can't get up in Chinese.
More Harbin pictures coming soon!