Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Ice Garden
After visiting the church, we went to (what I believe is called) the ice garden. It has sculptures and other things made out of ice and snow. Bet you never would have guessed that! The bundled up figure with the red scarf is me by one of the huge entrance gates. Throughout the garden there is a collection of various flowers frozen in the ice. They were pretty to look at. The fish who got frozen made me think of how my hands felt when I removed them from my gloves in order to take pictures. Towards the center of the park was a display of the ice sculptures different teams had created. Some were quite impressive, some not as much. All were better than I could do. It was a challenge to take decent pictures as the sculptures were clear. I just couldn't do them justice. I liked the ballet dancers that a Polish team made. I thought the man trying to pull the tree out of the ground was neat too. Very unique (as opposed to just a little bit unique).

There were also some slides in the ice park. You have to watch your step since the stairs are made of ice just as the slides are. I went on one of the shorter slides because (1) it was the first one we encountered (2) it was free and (3) it didn't have too many stairs. Later we came across some larger ones. They cost (though hardly anything) and had a lot of stairs. By the time we got to them my hands and feet were cold too and I just wanted to try to keep as warm as possible.
Russian Market, Ice Festival, and Snow Festival pictures and commentary coming soon.