Thursday, January 19, 2006

More Harbin

In the afternoon we were taken to the Russian Market. It wasn't what I expected. I was picturing a large, outdoor market. Instead it appeared that we were dropped at a random street corner and given an hour to roam. The market, in reality, was a Russian section of town with many small little shops. With the weather as cold as it was I think I would have been just as happy staying in my hotel room staying warm. I did enjoy going into a couple of the shops and found a Russian stacking doll for a good price.

We were then off to the Ice Festival (or whatever it is really called). I don't really know how to describe it except to say that it is a little city made out of ice. Ice castle, ice churches, ice bar, ice Cartier (but only holographic jewelry), and various other structures, sculptures, and attractions. Neon lighting is placed inside the ice so that the buildings can be seen at night. When it is first getting dark and the lights go on it has a tacky Vegas kind of feel. As it becomes darker, it becomes less tacky and more amazing.
Here are some more pictures.