Friday, June 22, 2007

Q: Can My Baby Crawl?
A: I don't know-- what do you think?


Well, tomorrow Monster Baby will be six months old. Happy Half Birthday to him! I may just make a cake for the occasion, even though he can't have any. After all, I can have some. (I have lost 33 of the 55 pounds I put on while I was pregnant so I deserve cake! Even if I gain back two pounds I suppose I am doing okay even though I feel like a whale still.)

Anyway, besides marking the need for another round of shots and the start of taking fluoride drops, six months is the age estimate I gave for Justin to be crawling. So, is he crawling?

Answer: I don't think so, but...

So when does crawling actually occur. Justin is not racing across the room at the speed of light, or even at the speed of a two legged dog. He IS moving though. He usually goes backwards instead of forward. That's not his goal, so does it count? He can get on his hands and knees and rock back and forth and then lunge his body forward, often landing on his face. Does that count? He can also get on his hands and feet and then pull his feet back in and fall forward. This again is often on his face or, if he loses his balance, over on his back. So does this count? This morning while I was in the shower I watched him get up on his hands and knees and fling himself forward a total of at least a foot and a half. Does this mean he can crawl?

I don't know what to put on his baby calendar. Can I say that he can crawl yet? When exactly is the day crawling begins? At least I know yesterday was his first solid poop. Rob thinks that deserves a mention on the calendar, but the calendar didn't come with a sticker for that first. I doubt Hallmark has capitalized on that event either.

Crawling or not crawling, one thing is for certain-- Justin can move. He has perfected the art of moving on his hands and knees in a circle and/or rolling to get to something he wants. It seems the less we want him to get it, the faster he can move. It is only going to get worse from here.

Here is hoping that I can catch him crawling before he enters kindergarten. He is a sly one when it comes to the camera! In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the footage I did manage to capture. In the first clip the best part is before his dad removes the infant gym. After that Monster Baby's distraction increases. In the second one is kind of fun to hear his squeal.