Friday, April 01, 2016

Spring Break in Egypt (Part I)

For the boys' spring break we took a quick trip to Egypt. Seeing the pyramids has been on my list for awhile, but never seemed very practical.  It was too far, too unstable, kids were too young...  From Doha there are direct flights that are about 3 1/2 hours.  Fares are reasonable.  Tourist locations are as safe as anywhere these days.  Kids are a bit older.  This was the time!  If I find myself back in that part of the world, there is definitely more that I would like to see, but I can say that I am satisfied with what I saw.

I'm throwing some pics on here, unedited because I know if I start cropping and playing around with them at all the boys will have kids of their own before I get them up on the blog. :)  If you want good pics, Google is amazing for finding them.

The Pyramids of Giza and the Great Sphinx

Here is Justin doing his Egyptian walk.  He is standing on a pyramid.  The boys were disappointed that they couldn't climb all the way up.  I wish they could. It would have burned off some of their energy.

The two sweeties together.  You can see how big the pyramid blocks are with the boys standing in front of them. 

Ryan wanted to hold a pyramid. I think he would have been happy to come home once he got this pic taken.  I think he would have been happy with an inflatable pyramid like in Despicable Me 2.  The boys do love their bouncy castle things.

Here is Ryan again.

Muscle man Justin in front of the Giza pyramids.

And here we are as a family.  A blue sky would make for nicer pics, but I don't think it would have made the trip any better. The cool weather was perfect for being able to walk around without getting sweaty and dehydrated.


The pyramids without us blocking the view.


Wishing that he could get off the path and climb a bit higher.

Justin was sure that Grammy would love this picture.  He is in it after all.

Lots of  horses available if you want a ride. I hadn't pictured carriage rides in Egypt, but I guess if people will pay for it they will offer the service. I can't imagine it would be very enjoyable though.  Camel rides were also available. I figured if we want to ride a camel we can easily do that in Doha. 

The smaller queen's pyramids might be impressive if they were in a different location. Hard to complete with the big ones!

Yep, pyramid pics again. If you want to see more you can google them. They will be better quality too.

It's the Great Sphinx. 



There was a school group or something coming to see the sphinx. Justin and Ryan were popular, but especially Justin as he is fairer.  I think they were in more selfies during the trip to Egypt than the rest of their lives combined. Justin got a bit embarrassed by the attention, but he loved it.

The camels they had to ride were not particularly exciting. I guess we see a lot of them here in Doha. 

We went to a papyrus place and saw how they make papyrus. We bought some things, including these pictures for the boys. This woman is adding their names in the cartouches.


Memphis, Egypt

 On to Memphis. We saw the statue of Ramses II.  It was interesting to be able to see it from a variety of viewpoints. It is big when you are right next to it, but it is nice to be able to see it from above.




Everyone wanted a picture with my kids. I found it amusing so sometimes I snapped a pic of them getting their pic.


There were lots of interesting things to see in the area, but the boys were done. They didn't find statues as impressive as pyramids.