Thursday, October 06, 2005

We Don't Speak Chinese!

Last night Rob and I decided to get our Chinese food to go so that we could bring it back to our place, eat what we wanted, and then have leftovers. We had previously had someone at the hotel write (in Chinese) that we wanted to get our food to go. At least, that is what we asked them to write. I think it came out to be something more like "we want take food from here back to hotel to eat so please help we." Anyway, got to our restaurant, some waitress type chic read the note and took our order. We sat on the side of restaurant waiting for our food, minding our own business. Of course we were quite a sight, being white as we are. One lady came over from her table and sat beside me and started talking. We kind of looked at her and shook our heads, so she indicated that she wanted to write something. Hmmm... that doesn't seem like something that is going to work. If we don't SPEAK the language, why would we read it? Do we look like we speak Cantonese and not Mandarin? Whatever. She saw our "take out" note and was amused by it. She was disappointed that we couldn't read her note so she tried to write something else. (Why, I don't know.) She gave us her phone number so that we could call her. Ah, that would be great. We can't communicate in person so the phone would be much easier. Don't really get that. Of course she wanted our phone number too. Okay random Chinese lady, like I am going to give you my phone number. Should she try to call I am sure she will enjoy the recorded message from our disconnected Verizon number in Maryland. She might not know that it isn't me. Her husband also joined in our conversation (or lack thereof) and wanted to know where we lived. We were able to explain that we are staying in the Sheraton Hotel. Since that is on the other side of town, he wanted to know why we were where we were and decided that it was because we wanted to see the Mao statue. Well, we got to give them big hugs and they are now our good friends, or at least a good story that they can tell their friends. I only wish I had my polaroid. I bet we could clean up charging people for photos with us. I am starting to think that I really need to make sure to do my hair and make up before I go out. What a burden being a celebrity!