Sunday, April 09, 2006


Perth Zoo, though not very large, was quite enjoyable. The habitats seemed well set up and I enjoyed walking around the various areas almost as much as seeing the actual animals. The design allowed us to get close to many of the animals. In some places we were able to walk through the habitats, providing that we stayed to the path.

Many of the animals were cooperative, and I think I got pretty good pictures of the penguins and the orangutans. They were fun to watch and since it wasn’t crowded we had a great view for as long as we wanted.

Kangaroos aren’t nearly as cute in real life as their animated likenesses. They are pretty lazy things too. Do they really think that I want to watch them sleeping? They kind of look like large, deformed rats. I managed to get a couple of pictures though. Even though they aren’t soft and cute like stuffed animals, they were interesting to watch and I enjoyed the chance to be so close to them.

The koalas were cuter, but even less cooperative. Refused to pose for me and continuously placed themselves so that leaves and branches blocked any clear shots of them.