Thursday, September 29, 2005

What $20 Bought Me at Wal-Mart in China
(Okay, according to current exchange rates what $20.33 bought me at Wal-Mart)
  1. 5 500 ml bottles of diet coke (ok, coke light. Not only is there not diet coke, but it doesn't seem to come in anything except for cans or 500ml bottles. AND, unless you go to a bulk shopping type store, you buy individual cans or bottles and not 6 packs, cases, etc.)
  2. 2 liter bottle of orange juice (100% juice and pretty good stuff!)
  3. 1.5 liters of corn oil (soybean is cheaper, but I thought I would give this a try and compare)
  4. 4 pounds (slightly more) boneless chicken breasts
  5. 15 medium eggs (priced by weight, not per egg)
  6. 1 bunch Dole bananas (just over 1 kg)
  7. white rice (just over 1 kg. I get bulk instead of HUGE bags since I am walking home)
  8. 2 bottles shampoo (one pantene, one wal-mart china brand)
  9. 1 small bottle of Johnson’s baby powder
  10. Box of 200 toothpicks
  11. 3 seasoning packets (for chicken)
  12. 1 small bag of granulated chicken bouillon (200 grams)
  13. 2 small bags of cheetos (kind of like “Big Grab” size
  14. Small box of Tide (enough for 4 or 5 “American” size loads
  15. 1 loaf of bread (for sandwiches, etc.)
  16. 1 loaf coconut bread (for dessert)

Okay, LAST time I went to Wal-Mart and bought eggs, I couldn't for the life of me find them pre-packaged in carton type things. There were just these big plastic tubs filled with eggs and you picked out the ones you wanted, put them in a bag, and had them weighed and stickered with price. TODAY I went over to where the bulk eggs had been, and in their place was a stack of pre-packaged eggs (in packs of 15) priced by the kg. Bulk eggs were nowhere in sight. Now while I appreciate having my eggs in a carton rather than banging up against each other in a plastic bag, I find it confusing not to know what I am going to find. And as for never knowing what I am going to find...I still don't know what half the stuff in the store is (and some of it I don't want to know)!

No comments: