Sunday, September 18, 2005


Yes Virginia, there is a Wal-Mart!

We have made it to China and been to Wal-Mart to purchase our rice cooker. What more could we need? It was a slightly unsettling experience getting there, only because of the stares I get. I could understand it if I had blue hair or something, but because I am white? I keep wondering if I forgot my pants or something as people do a double take as they pass me on their bikes. I especially like it when I am pointed out to young children. Yes, stare at the rather average looking white woman walking down the street. I know that it is only a matter of time before I cause a major traffic accident because drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians are watching me instead of each other. I suppose I will get use to it before too long. I hope so, because it is SO hard to resist the urge to stick out my tongue and make a face. Truly THAT would be a story worth sharing at the end of the day. "I saw this white woman and she must have been a devil with her tongue hanging out and her eyes rolling around..." That would probably be most impolite of me.

No comments: